Sunday, January 15, 2012

Forcing bulbs

I love spring with all the flowers that come up, but January tends to be a bit dull.  To Brighten the house I wanted to try forcing bulbs.  I purchased some Hyacinth in blues and purples to start indoors. 

Make sure the bulbs are good quality and place them in the fridge for a few days to a week or more.  Start with placing beads, glass, or rocks in the bottom of the jar. The Dollar store often has a good selection of beads and rocks. Set the bulb in and fill to the bottom of the bulb.  Set in the light and watch how quickly you have flowers.  After the bulbs are are done flowering, cut the stems and dry them out.  Store them for next spring.

I placed them in a window in my stairway and love watching the roots start growing in the beads.
This is a great project for children to help with and it is so fun to see how the plant grows.

1 comment: