Monday, March 5, 2012

Peek A Boo Sugar Eggs

I remember my mom had two of these eggs when I was a little girl.  I loved looking inside at the scene my mother created.  Miniatures are so fun and to have a look into another imaginary world is what little kids love.  There is a magic about The Easter bunny and imagining a world with him in it.  I have wanted to make one of these for years and now I have some time so I gave it a try.  It was not the easiest project, especially for some one that is impatient.  Here is what I did, what I should have done, and how it all turned out. 


1 Egg white, Do not be tempted to use more.  One will do it. Otherwise it will take longer to dry.
Food coloring
3.5 cups sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar    Use a Dollor Tree Large plastic egg for the mold.
 I got so frustrated with this project that I did not take all the pictures I wanted to.  Here is the plastic egg, my boys decorated it with the left over frosting.  It too is a looking egg.






 I wanted pink eggs, so I started with coloring the sugar and sifting it.  I wanted it to be the glitter sugar that was on pinterest but it did not turn out glittery,  (guess I need to read the post not just skim the pictures.:(
I them mixed in the powdered sugar and egg white, when I got this great idea to make stripes.  That means more sugar in different colors.  I went with blue and filled the egg mold blue then pink on the top and blue and pink for the bottom.  Pressed it all tight and let it sit to dry.  Only problem...I tipped it out and tried to move the base and all the sugar crumbled.  Arrrgh!  (Out comes my Pirate)

I re wet the sugar with egg white and pressed it all back in and then flipped the molds over and let the sugar dry out of the mold. 
Here is what you should do...
Press the wet sugar, it should mold into shape in your hand and not too wet, into the mold and then press it down tight.  Then place a cookie sheet on the top and tip over.  Pull the mold off.  Let it sit in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 minutes to dry or air dry for several hours.

The outside needs to be hard and mostly dry, the inside will still be some what soft.  Now scoop out the center of both the top and bottom of the egg.  The shell should be about 1/2inch thick.  As with everything on this project I went to the movies and let them dry to long.  They were very hard and I had to scrape the centers out with a spoon.  It did work but not the best scernio.  I also cut off the front side for the opening.  You may decide to have your opening on the center of the bottom where the flat spot is.  The egg would sit upright instead.  I do not prefer that style.
 Next is the frosting.  Again a problem area for me.  I can never get royal icing to work out. 
This time I got Meringue Powder and it made all the difference. 

4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup water
3T meringue powder
Food coloring. 
You want it to stand up in peaks and it is ready to pipe.  I always make it to runny this time it turned out, it is just stiff and harder to pipe than other frosting's.


I added in little Easter ornaments and pipe cleaner chicks.





When the sugar bottom mold fell apart I had to mix the colors and got purple instead.  It still is a bit stripped.  It really is fun to look into.  My boys love it too.  My teen just rolls her eyes like usual.

Good luck and let me know if you try this, I would love to hear how it turns out.

See me linked at


Three Mango Seeds
you are talking too much


The Shabby Nest

1 comment:

  1. That turned out awesome! I don't remember these at all, but they are really cool.

    ReplyDelete