Monday, March 19, 2012

Wall repairs

I am getting ready to decorate my boys bedroom and needed to make some wall repairs to touch up the room.   I run into many clients that fill holes improperly, it is not as hard as some people make it.  Here is what I do when facing a hole in the wall.

 This is a larger hole that can be filled with spackle.  I recommend Lightweight spackle in stead of joint compound or vinyl spackle.   Light weightspackle will dry quickly.  You know it is the right stuff because the pint will be very light weight. 

*First scrape the hole with the end of a putty knife to flatten it and then fill it with spackle, NOT TOOTHPASTE!  which is quite common and does not work in the long run.

 This hole has to much spackle and can be wiped off with a moist cloth.  You want the hole to be flush with the wall.  A cloth is much easier than sanding. 
 If you have a molly in the wall, use a flat screw driver and tap it in with a hammer on the end of the screwdriver.  Then it is ready to fill.


Above is the hole dry  and to the right I have wiped the dry spackle with a moist cloth with very little pressure.  Now it is ready to touch up with paint. 
I have seen holes filled with large amounts of mud, spackle, and toothpaste.  All of which need more work than needed.  Lightweight spackle easily wipes away with water and avoids sanding in most cases.  I will be showing larger repairs coming soon.

2 comments: